In other news, an elderly Eastham couple staying in their 42 year old home got stuck in their living room and were forced to sleep there for over three days because their vertical platform lift would not operate.
The Conclusion? Proper maintenance and upkeep of assistive devices are a must.
Whether new or used, vertical platform wheelchair lifts provide easy accessibility solutions to people with mobility issues who are either convalescing or disabled. A new/ used porch-lift or any other vertical platform lift offers the convenience of moving across spaces while making it possible for them to enter, exit, or even negotiate every architectural barrier a location has to offer.
Proper maintenance ensures safe, worry-free, and smooth lift operation taking away the stress of an unpleasant surprise such as the one the Eastham couple had to go through. Lack of regular upkeep not only disrupts the wheelchair lift service but avoids downtime and unnecessary hassles.
With that being said, here are a few tips to maximize your platform lift investment:
- Daily pre-trip inspections can reveal every potential problem, damage, and issue due to wear and tear.
- Maintain a proper lubrication schedule, and professional upkeep should be performed ideally after a certain number of operating cycles or a regular time interval. The operator’s manual provides more specific details regarding maintenance of the lift.
- Apart from the daily wear and tear due to the usage, other external conditions such as weather, contamination, and other environmental factors may require inspection and appropriate maintenance measures.
- Make sure that in no case the wheelchair lift is not made to carry beyond its capacity. Even if it’s a used vertical platform wheelchair lift, it’s not designed to carry freight. These smart mobility assistive devices have been designed to carry a certain weight to function properly. If a platform lift is used to carry weight beyond its rated weight capacity, damage can occur to the lift.
- Proper installation is a must. Most new or used porch lifts require the installation of an outdoor gate on the upper landing. Other extra modifications might be necessary to prevent damage from shearing hazards.
- Choose a lift that conforms to safety code standards. A reputable manufacturer will typically manufacture their wheelchair lift to conform to current standards.
- Make sure you don’t use the lift unnecessarily. If you have kids at home, the key can be removed which prevents unauthorized use.
- Different wheelchair platform lifts require professional inspection and cleaning depending on the type of drivetrain and the installation location.
Vertical platform wheelchair lifts are an excellent addition to a home for improving access to people struggling with mobility issues. However, regardless of the brand and amount of money you are investing in a wheelchair lift, proper maintenance is necessary to keep it performing at its best. Regular servicing keeps a wheelchair lift operating at its peak. So, keep these tips in mind to prevent future damage and repair costs.
Are you looking for quality refurbished and used vertical platform wheelchair lifts? Independent Living Solutions can help you find an ideal fit within your budget. Browse our online inventory or connect with us for any queries.