Wheelchair ramps, commonly referred to as Handicap Ramps, are quite good when it comes to providing easy access places that are otherwise not quite easily accessible by someone on a mobility device. It could be due to steep stairs or escalators or elevators that are too small to fit in the wheelchair. Ramps are always a welcome sight for people who use wheelchairs or scooters or even walkers. Portable wheelchairs for stairs are widely used. In America alone, the estimated number of people dependent on wheelchairs for mobility was 2.2 million in 2016. About 6.5 million made use of canes, walkers, crutches or other support systems to move around. Thus, the importance of ramps cannot be overlooked.
These ramps are available in different sizes, materials such as wood, aluminum and steel. But which one is better for you depends on your requirement and budget. Every location is different from the other, which may give rise to design and measurement changes. But, it is essential for all of them to meet the ADA standards. Let’s look at few features of wheelchairs of steel and aluminum!
Aluminum Wheelchair Ramps
- 100% maintenance free
- Most durable and lighter weight
- It offers amazing drainage of water or any other liquid
- High level of traction for ensuring the best safety features
- Color options are also available to complement style
- It is an amazing pick for residential use
Steel Wheelchair Ramp
- Attractive, heavy duty powder coated steel has a long warranty
- Textured flooring protects from slip and falls and allows for immediate drainage
- With its modular design, it can be modified as per any specification for your property
- It has extra strength and durability
- A perfect choice for, public or commercial use
If you are planning on investing in a wheelchair ramp you can pick the one you want as per your requirement. If a new one seems to be too heavy on your pocket, you can also buy used aluminum wheelchair ramps, which are easily available in the market.